Traveling tales and other banter

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. Here I have posted an assortment of tales from the road , some links I find amusing or interesting, an occasional recipe.. original poems and various other ramblings... so grab a beverage of your choice, find a happy place and I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

A thought about my Dad

On November 9th 2001 my dad was killed in a car wreck. Needless to say it was a life altering event in my life.

Sidney Lionel Mazer, my dad, was a WONDERFUL PERSON. A heart as big as the universe and a kind and compassionate spirit. He never believed in being negative. He always sought the best in people, even if they let him down time and time again. He focused on the postive and moving forward. I am blessed to have had him in my life for 39 years. I hope I carry in me, some of what made him such a special individual.

One October weekend, shortly before Dad's death, Steve and I were in Atlanta on the bike.. we were visiting my sister and brother-in-law and nieces. We had a nice visit with them and were heading to the mountains or heading back to Birmingham.. I can't remember which.. but what I do remember is that, my dad was there.. and I remember that he and Steve and I left to go to our respective destinations. Though I know he had seen me riding with Steve before, I could not help but wonder what he was thinking as we sped out onto the interstate with him behind us.. Is he worried? , did he think it was kinda cool.. or was he content in knowing how HAPPY I was .. I kept meaning to ask him about that. but I never had the chance.. . hmm.... well 5 years have passed since that moment and I tend to believe that he was content in knowing how happy I was and still am. We miss and love you Dad. Hope the bagels are good where ever you are.
Happy Trails......

2 comments:

anaprfool said...

The Grateful Dead once sung about THEIR Candyman...

"I come...in from Memmmm-phis...where I learned...to talk...the JIVE...
When I...get back....to Memmmm-phis...there'll be one less....man....alive...."

YOUR Candyman will always be with you Hon.

Shari said...

What beautiful thoughts on your dad...and I'm sure wherever he is the bagels are supreme! (The BBQ, too!)