Traveling tales and other banter

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. Here I have posted an assortment of tales from the road , some links I find amusing or interesting, an occasional recipe.. original poems and various other ramblings... so grab a beverage of your choice, find a happy place and I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

MORE RIDES, 9/11,ONE FIESTY HORNET

Towards the Summer of 2001 I was becoming more adept at riding . We took many day trips and weekenders that continously opened my eyes to the magic of motorcycling. While I realize there is danger in this new hobby, the magic over rides that danger. It is difficult to describe to one that has never ridden. I have succeeded in freaking out most of my family and friends. Everyone to this day is shocked that I travel with Steve on that bike.. I consider myself greatly rewarded. Riding brought back my passion for writing poetry and pros. Riding opened my heart to the environment and how unique and fragile our planet is.It also has taught me what a treasure this part of the country is as well. Riding has taught me about consideration and good attitudes.. It has also taught me that not everyone is well taught. While most rides yield great pleasure.. Every now and then the rudeness of people on 4 wheels can be amazing.. It is as if they are oblivious to anything on 2 wheels out there on the highways and biways of life. They would sooner run you off the road than acknowledge your right to ride.. More often than not though that is exception not the rule.

By Fall of 2001 a lot was going on with our country.. 9 - 11 -01 brought a new kind of patriotism alive. I can remember shortly after that day .. taking a trip up to the Suches , Ga. area... So many homes that nestled in the landscape proudly flew the red white and blue. I can remember heading up to Brasstown Bald.. I believe that is the highest point in Georgia. We got up to this point and there was a park area.. and you could ride up to the top and have a breathtaking view. Up on top of the peak at the highest point, a HUGE American Flag flew.. the sky was a light cobalt blue and there was a cool breeze cradling the flag.. It has been an image that has stuck with me for 5 years now. When we left and rode down.. so many homes and vehicles waved the flag.. It was incredible.

I suppose you are wondering about the feisty hornet.. well on one of our journeys to North Ga. After spending so much time hearing about this one ride.. I knew.. that now was the time.. NO MATTER WHAT!! including feisty European Hornets. Deals Gap is a stretch of road that is twisty beyond belief it is a fun challenging ride... So low and behold we were heading that way when we decided to take a bathroom break at a park rest area.. I went into the bathroom.. and thought to myself .. I don't thiiiiiink soooooo.. with that I turned around and walked back to the bike.. much to my later chagrin.. apparently a hornet had hitched a ride on my inner left thigh. We saddled up and were heading on .. winding about the road.. when I let out a scream saying I have been stung .. I have been stung..STOP THE BIKE....... Steve said ,"NO you were not stung.. it was probably a little bug hitting your leg or a little rock... (YEAH that was some rock alright) .. he pulled over and at the side of this particular road sheltered by a beautiful landscape .. welll..... I pulled down my pants... (hornets and modesty do not go hand in hand) I looked at my leg and saw nothing and I slid the leg of my pants down a little bit more... and then WHAM!!! THERE IT WAS... and it was HUGE.. even Steve said I had hole in my leg the size of 3 penny nail. it was swelling up.. and I did not have my Eppy Pen with me if I needed it.. WE were in the middle of no where... I pulled my pants back up and we headed on .. coming to a small town with a drug store... The people there were so kind... they were running around the store finding benadryl and someone gave me a ice pack to help control the swelling.. here I was with my pants down in the back of a store with ice on my thigh.. lol.. it was pretty funny... and I really did not care..

Thank God I never needed that Eppy Pen. Even though the pain was pretty bad.. not hornet, ice pack or anything was going to stop this very important ride.. I got back on the bike.. sat on the ice pack.. and away we went... I was so happy that we had forged ahead ....the ride was great..albeit a bit scarey, especially when a crazy guy on a crotch rocket sped by us on a blind curve and then sped past a car as well.. but when all was done.. I got my tee shirt at the end of the ride....318 turns in 11 miles... we had slayed the Dragon.. YAY!... here is a link to Deal's Gap in North Carolina.. ( North Ga, North Garolina and the Mtns of Tenn. converge near each other.. So u could stay in North Ga and in a few minutes be in North Carolina or Tenn.. .. back to the Dragon.. here is the link http://www.dealsgap.com/index.html .. that too is something to see.. We staying in a B & B that evening.. the swelling had gone down .. Someone had a basket of little black puppies there.. and that took my mind off of any lingering pain...not to mention the benydrl was making me sleepy.

Even with the run in with the Sweddish Hornet.. (Sweddish, European, Japanese, French...which ever ) we were happy to have slayed the Mighty Dragon on that trip.. We headed home the next day as usual.. already planning our next great adventure... Stay tuned...for more Two Wheel Tales.. Happy Trails..

No comments: