Traveling tales and other banter

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. Here I have posted an assortment of tales from the road , some links I find amusing or interesting, an occasional recipe.. original poems and various other ramblings... so grab a beverage of your choice, find a happy place and I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

CONDENSED MEMORIES AND A FIRST MOUNTAIN RIDE


Shortly after that initial ride, we made a few adjustments. Though we did not have a communication system yet we found I was more content with a complete full face helmet than with any other type. I felt a sense of balance in my full facer. For the passenger the ride can be a bit different then for the driver of the motorcycle. Usually the passenger gets more wind and feels things differently than the driver.. You could say each of us has our own unique ride. Perhaps by reading my first posting you are thinking .. ahhh I bet she never rides again.. but alas.. she.. me .. saddled up .. again and again and still again... each ride even to this day gives me something new.. Something to keep with me . Before we took a ride into the Mountains fo North Georgia. We covered a lot of back roads in Alabama.. Steve made sure to increase my riding ability. He taught me how to behave as a passenger. One weekend, I can't remember when exactly.. Not only did we SADDLE UP.. but we PACKED UP and hit the road. I was a little nervous with all the traffic, especially the traffic in Atlanta.. wheww.. once we were through all of that.. hitting the mountains would be a breeze.. well not actually more like an awakening of sorts. It was as if I had been tossed out onto a movie set.. the sky was a deep cloudless blue and the mountains rose jagged against it. At the same time there were ripples of smooth edges that threaded through the small jagged peaks.. and here we were traversing between this mountain cut out. On one side of me was the wall of a mountain and on the other a steep drop off with waterfalls scattered about. To me the guard rails were not much security.. but at that point I found myself so lost in my environment that I think security was about the farthest thing from my mind.. I can remember my eyes welling up at the beauty of this perfect day. To think that God creates such masterpieces.. These winding byways deserve to be taken in.. feeling each curve in the drive.. falling into each sweeper and switchback and for once just living in the moment of one perfect moment.. How lucky was I to have someone in my life who was sharing this experience with me.. truth be told, he gave me that experience. 6 years later I can still remember how everything looked and felt.. and smelled.. the early whisper of fall, the still warm air of an indian summer.. and every now and then the warmth of someone burning a fire somewhere.. the smell of seasons changing... feeling my environment around me.... and so it goes... watch for another post on Two Wheel Tales.. the picture included in this post is of Steve and I at the 2006 Antique Bike show and race at Barbers Motorsports Park.. check the link out ... http://www.barbermotorsports.com/ it is something to see to see...

No comments: